Saturday, November 8, 2008

This Week: a Journey


This week God has been doing amazing things in my life. Not only has He once again proved that His plans are better than mine, but He has been working in me in ways I cannot yet explain or express. Thursday I received a letter in my mailbox saying I have been accepted to go to Swaziland, Africa in May! Beneath every situation we walk through God has a purpose.
-->Beauty is deeper and exists beyond what we can see.
Although it doesn't always seem like it, it rings true. I started my job as a mentor at an elementary school this week. The job description I received and the actual work I do have absolutely nothing in common, I walked into a teacher's room that had no idea I was coming because the principal still had not notified anyone, and I often feel in the way. But, yesterday a little boy placed a piece of paper in front of me on his way to recess. He had drawn a picture of me (and depicted my curly hair quite nicely, I must say :D) and it said "Love You". It made me laugh and now I realize that no matter what I am doing in these classrooms, the kids still need love. Maybe that little bit of joy I bring with me will brighten their day. Although Tariq took the picture back when I left the room for a couple minutes :'( :P, it made me feel like I had made a difference. So where lays the beauty? Ok, so maybe it's not in the cold I'm contracting or in Sarah's head lice but it's in the way she told Mrs. Cocking she had "live bugsth" in her hair. It's in the smile of the 1st grader who has "never met anyone in college before!". It's in the joy of the wild turkey chase and the little hands that write about the first Thanksgiving that consisted of "Pilgrims who sailed here and soon died". Even though I'm still not sure what God has in store for me there, I know it's something I could not do anywhere else. It's His work, I just got recruited for it. Well, homework is sprawled across my bed, calling my name. There's got to be beauty somewhere in there too...right?! God bless and remember that our work is not ours. "Work hard and cheerfully at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord" Colossians 3:23. Give thanks, rejoice, and press onward.
In Christ's love,
me

2 comments:

Shay Bogear said...

That is so awesome baby. I am so excited for you to get to go to Africa!!! and a little jealous. It is going to be an awesome adventure and a great opportunity for you. I miss you so much baby!!! I love you with all of my heart Haley!!! Have an awesome day in Him!!!

Jerolyn Bogear said...

Look out Swaziland! Congrats! Of course, it was because of that amazing reference letter I sent, right? ;-) Love the stories from the new job. Those kids have already started to wiggle their way into your heart. Have an awesome week. J